Department of Pediatrics
Great Departments / Developmental and Reconstructive Medical Sciences
|Associate Professor||Shirou Matsumoto|
|Assistant Professor||Naomi Kuwada|
We are working on the following projects.
- 1.The research of the pathology and therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy(DMD).
- 2.The research of the physiological and molecular genetic mechanism and therapy for the fatigue and the psychosomatic disease in a child.
- 3.The research on the molecular genetic mechanism of growth hormone and growth factors.
- 4.The research on the usefulness and availability of a growth curve.
- 5.The research on the Circulation and the metabolism of eating disorder(adolescence and children).
- 6.The research on the aromatherapy for severity multiple handicapped children.
Our pediatric department focuses on intractable and rare disorders during pediatric period. Our metabolic unit (conducted by Dr. Kimitoshi Nakamura) is a center of new born screening for lysosomal disorders, amino acid disorders and glucose storage disorders in Japan. We established the gene diagnosis system for screen-positive patients by next generation gene sequencing method. Pathophysiological analysis and drug development study using by iPS cell technique are investigated by regenerative medicine specialists. Neural regeneration research group (conducted by Dr. Iwai) investigate the way to promote angiogenesis, neurogenesis and re-myelination in the injured area of neonatal hypoxic ischemic brain in order to compensate for the lack of neuronal tissue and its function. The renal research group focus on basement membrane disorders of the kidney such as podocin abnormalities. Neuromuscular research group investigates for the pathology and therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy. In addition, Cardiovascular research group (Nakamura et al.) published “Complete heart block and sudden death in mice overexpressing calreticulin(J Clin Invest. 2001 May;107(10):1245-53.)” and “Arrhythmia induced by spatiotemporal overexpression of calreticulin in the heart(Mol Genet Metab. 2007 Jul;91(3):285-93.)”. Novel biomarker for diabetes mellitus was published by the group of research for endocrinology. As just written above, we have various investigations specialized for pediatric disorders.